3S-GTE Engines are Compatible with AWD 5 Speed Transmission Models:
94-99 E154F Celica GTfour ST205
97-01 E150F Caldina GT-T ST215
94-00 E250F Rav4 SXA11
3S-GTE YAMAHA/TOYOTA Generation 4 Engine, with Wiring & ECU- Most advanced version of 3S-GTE, best Value overall
E154F JDM Celica GTfour (1994-1999) AWD 5 Speed Manual Transmission- Best Gearbox, best Value overall
Summary: The reason why the E154F Transmission, is the best choice for a 3SGTE gen4 Rav4 swap is because the gearbox features better gear ratios for faster acceleration, dual cone synchros, but most importantly it has a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) in exactly the same location as the E250F Rav4 gearbox, meaning the speedometer will work with the same electrical connector as the Rav4.
CALDINA GT-T ST215 JDM AXLES
Caldina GT-T, ST215W, 3S-GTE, MANUAL, SHAFT, ASSEMBLY, LH, LEFT FRONT
JDM LH: Toyota Genuine Parts JAPAN: 43420-21010 - approx. $1200.00 CAN + Tax & Shipping
Caldina GT-T, ST215W, 3S-GTE, MANUAL, SHAFT, ASSEMBLY, RH, RIGHT FRONT
JDM RH: Toyota Genuine Parts JAPAN: 43410-21010 -approx. $1,200.00 CAN + Tax & Shipping
USDM RH: RIGHT FRONT AWD Rav4 3S-FE 1994-2000 Axle Assembly: Available at your local parts store.
*Weaker in design and not recommended for racing or high performance applications
Price guide for Rav4 3S-GTE Gen4 Engine & Driveline Swap
- $1500 - 3S-GTE gen4 Caldina GT-T engine
- $0- 3S-GTE ECU with the connector C & D
- $0 - 3S-GTE gen4 engine wiring harness uncut
- $0 - 3S-FE Rav4 engine wiring harness uncut
- $1200 - E154F /E150F 3S-GTE rated Toyota manual 5 speed transmission
- $500 - new heavy duty clutch and pressure plate
- $100 - Toyota OEM throwout (clutch release) bearing
- $100 - transmission fluid
- $60 - engine oil
- $1200 - LEFT SIDE Caldina GT-T front Axle :43420-21010
- $1200 - RIGHT SIDE Caldina GT-T front Axle: 43410-21010
- $150 - Dakota Digital SGI-8E Tachometer Interface
- $150 - Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
- $400- Turbo Downpipe for Caldina St215 Flange)
- $50 - Fuel Hose for return
- $300 - *Fuel Pump Assembly Modification - by Professional
- $500- *Custom Exhaust work (you are going to have to install a 2.5" Cat back exhaust at the very least)
- $600 - *Wiring Harness Service - (you must send both the entire 3S-GTE caldina engine harness and 3S-FE Rav4 harness away for 6-8 weeks
- $2100 - *Labour to install - (after your fuel pump assembly and wiring harness have been modified, labour to pull engine and reinstall everything is 17-20 Hours
A Gen4 Swap will cost about ~$10,000 CAN
*Note that in this list, not even brake maintenance is taken into consideration, there will be incidentals such as new hoses, electrical tape, cable ties, etc, etc!
E150F JDM Caldina GT-T (1997-2002) AWD 5 Spd. Manual Transmission - (No VSS, must sacrifice ABS functionality)
Summary: The Caldina gets its speedometer reference signal through the ABS Computer, there no electrical plug on the gearbox, there is also no gear ring inside of the transmission. You can use a Dakota Digital SGI-5E Speedometer Interface, connected to any working ABS Wheel Speed Sensor using shielded wire to provide your OEM Speedometer a signal that will work. You will LOSE ABS FUNCTIONALITY. You cannot "tap or split into" the ABS signal, otherwise both the vehicle ABS and the Speedometer will fail to work. If you want to ditch ABS like I did, you'll be fine using the Caldina E150F transmission with Dakota Digital SGI-5E and dealing with an ABS Light (if its legal in your area). The Caldina Gearbox, like the Celica GTfour both require CALDINA Axles left and right to work in a Rav4 Swap, however, the RIGHT SIDE CELICA/CALDINA INNER axle joint is identical in shape and size of the RIGHT SIDE rav4, CV Axle just weaker in design. the inner axle joint is designed differently and cannot be joined together, and the Celica axle is too long for the Rav4.
E250F Rav4 (1994-2000) AWD 5 Sp. Manual Transmission - (Worst but cheapest choice overall)
Summary: Your existing Rav4 manual gearbox and axles WILL fit the Gen4 3S-GTE engine, however, The reason the originally installed Rav4 AWD E250F manual gearbox is the worst choice, is because the gear ratios are intended for the 3s-FE Engine, which is only 98-105HP. The 3S-GTE after a good exhaust upgrade and boost increase is ~280-320HP. Your engine will rev at ~5,500RPM in 5th gear on the highway which is loud and annoying. Those who have done this but used really big tires say its not so bad drive about, or below the speed limit.
TL;DR You will not get the full potential of your 3S-GTE upgrade, without 3S-GTE rated gearbox (E154F/E150F)